1. Find the book you would like to check out using Worldcat.
2. Check to see if it is available from either: Auburn, Alabama, UAB, or AUM.
3. Click on the link to ALLIES
4. Select the Library catalog you would like to search and then click "Connect"
5. Copy and paste the title of the book into the Search field (remember to omit, "a, an, the").
6. After you have located your book, click on the title to access more information about the book.
7. Once you are in the page with the book's information, click on "Request".
8. Select "Student ID" from the drop-down box and enter your number then hit enter and click "OK" for UB (universal borrowing) request.
9. Another screen will pop up and you will enter your student id number again.
10. Your request was made if you see this message "Your Patron Initiated Request was successful".
11. The library will email you when the book arrives and you can pick it up at the circulation desk in the lobby.
ALLIES, ALabama LIbraries Exchange Service, is a partnership between several Alabama academic libraries. This enables students to borrow books not available at the Houston Cole Library.
Currently, the ALLIES libraries include Auburn University, Auburn University at Montgomery, Jacksonville State University, University of Alabama, and University of Alabama at Birmingham. With this partnership, ALLIES patrons can place on-line requests and/or check out items from any of the ALLIES libraries provided they have an approved photo ID and meet the requirements of an ALLIES patron. For more information about this service, please see our Frequently Asked Questions Flyer about ALLIES.
The ALLIES libraries use UPS to deliver requested materials. Depending on when the lending library processes the ALLIES request, materials should be delivered within 2-3 days of the request. However, if you place the request on a Friday or the day before a holiday, it could take longer.
After placing an ALLIES request, you should monitor your JSU email. Any correspondence regarding your request (book was not found on the shelf, book cannot be sent, etc.) will be sent to this email address. If the first library cannot fill the request, you can try to get the needed material from another ALLIES library.
Please contact Debra Deering-Barrett if you need further assistance.